August has been a productive month under the wave here at Tidal Migrations and in the cloud community at large; check it out!
- New Feature: Source Code Assessment
- Tidal Migrations announced a new Source Code Assessment feature on August 13th.
- With just one command, your cloud migration team can assess an application’s code quality for Migration Difficulty and skip past the months of meetings to decide which applications to migrate to cloud-native and PaaS technologies.
- You can see the latest improvements and fixes at any time in the changelog.
- As always, we are grateful for all your user feedback and product ideas, so keep them coming at email@example.com.
- Journey to the Cloud Web Series: Episode 2 - Hypervisor Integration & Customer Discovery Sources
- This is the second of a series of short bi-weekly webinars that will walk you through the process and the activities needed to migrate successfully to the cloud - public or private. In this session on August 29th, we’ll be covering additional data sources, discovery tools and processes for discovering and ingesting application data. Register now!
- Journey to the Cloud Web Series: Episode 3
- The third installment of the webinar series will be taking place on September 26th. Stay tuned for more information by subscribing to our mailing list!
- If you weren’t able to attend our first webinar covering data sources, discovery tools and methods for discovering, and ingesting application data and identifying dependencies, you can view it here.
- Blog: How to Win at Cloud Native Migrations - in this blog post, David discusses how to successfully adopt cloud native technologies to leverage the best practices of DevOps and Infrastructure as Code for continuous deployment, giving your business the agility it needs to compete. His main points of advice revolve around: influencing cultural change, identifying an application to transform, and recognizing what an application is.
- Software Intelligence Adds Speed and Accuracy to Cloud Migration Assessments in Joint Offering from CAST and Tidal Migrations - CAST, the leader in Software Intelligence, announced it has added Tidal Migrations to its Highlight Partner Program. Building on Tidal’s discovery, assessment and planning features, CAST Highlight adds the important step of application portfolio analysis to provide a more detailed technical evaluation of application health characteristics before a migration effort is started.
- The new Serverless Platform Beta: everything teams need to operationalize serverless development - The Serverless Framework has already solved several problems in the build phase; now with $10M in series A funding, Serverless Platform Beta aims to extend solutions to two other phases of serverless application lifecycle management: operating and integrating.
- HashiCorp Terraform 0.12 Preview - This is the fifth post in a series highlighting new features in Terraform 0.12. Limitations on conditionals have been lifted and conditionals work as expected in all cases. Also, the null value has been introduced for conditionally omitting a value. In other words: this should hopefully make simple things simple!
- Google launches “Shielded VMs” to protect cloud servers from rootkits, data theft - the feature protects virtual machines from the installation of rootkits and other persistent malware, as well as other attacks that could result in data theft. Shielded VMs use a combination of firmware-based UEFI Secure Boot and vTPM, effectively preventing theft of VMs through “snap-shotting” or other duplication.
- DXC and AWS join forces to form cloud migration powerhouse - the companies are teaming up to build a multi-billion dollar enterprise dubbed DXC-AWS Integrated Practice that will offer clients secure, cloud-first solutions combining the breadth and depth of cloud services offered through AWS with DXC enterprise services, thus enabling them to innovate in their industries, be more agile, and better adapt to dynamic market conditions with speed and at scale while also modernising their operations for a digital era.
- Cloud Functions serverless platform is generally available - This post is the one-stop summary of Cloud Functions: what’s new, sign-up instructions for early access features, and some tips on where to find more information on useful technical sessions and insights.
- O-Reilly Conferences: Velocity - At Velocity, systems and site reliability engineers, architects, and application developers learn to build and manage performant, distributed, resilient, and highly available websites and applications. Located in New York (Sep 30 - Oct 3, 2018), London (Oct 30 - Nov 2, 2018), and San Jose (June 10 - 13, 2019).
- The next Tidal Cloud Migration Clan meetup has been tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, September 18th.
- This group is for anyone migrating applications to the cloud as part of a digital transformation journey who wants to hear stories from industry experts and technology providers, as well as share stories with other members in what’s going well…and what isn’t!
- The Clan is ever expanding, please join us.
That is all for August 2018. If you’ve enjoyed reading this, please consider forwarding it and follow us on Twitter to stay up to date.
-Tidal Migrations tidalmigrations.com